Financial Aid Blog Search

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mid Semester Check-Up

The temperature is dropping. The leaves are falling. Tests and other school work have entered into a frenetic pace. Christmas is just a little over 2 months away. This time of year brings to mind a few things: picking apples, carving pumpkins (and roasting pumpkin seeds!!), raking leaf piles, and unfortunately, FLU season. With the threat of the regular Flu and this new fangled H1N1 virus, many doctors are warning us all to be wary and constantly monitor our symptoms. I would like to propose a somewhat gloomy analogy…. Just like our doctors have given us warnings and precautionary measures to protect ourselves from getting the FLU, there are also some things that you can do to make sure your financial aid doesn’t keep you out of school for next semester! Stick with me, because I think you will find this information very helpful!

Tip # 1: Make sure your financial file is complete!

Hopefully by now you have already submitted a FAFSA and you have already heard back from our office letting you know whether or not we can complete your file, or if we need more information. If you have received an award letter and returned it back to our office, then rest easy, your file is complete. If you have not received an award letter, please contact our office as we will need additional documentation to complete your file.

Tip # 2: Make sure you have received all of the awards you are eligible for!

Run a quick check on your award letter and compare it to your account summary on Campus Cruiser. If the numbers don’t seem to add up, please take a moment and see if you can determine where the shortcomings might lie. If you still cannot seem to decipher the numbers, give us a call and we can look into it for you. If you have been awarded grants, loans, or scholarships that are not accounted for in your account summary, please give us a call.

Tip # 3: Have you gotten your refund check?

We have been working frantically to get all loans certified and all refund checks mailed out to students as soon as possible. I am very happy to report that as of today we are up to date with loan certifications. What this means for you is that if your loan has not been certified then there is a problem with your loan eligibility. I would recommend contacting our office to determine what you can do to correct this. Secondly, if you have not received your refund check you may wish to check with us, but if you have received your “Official” award letter, then rest easy, because your refund is on the way!

Tip # 4: Are you maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress?

In order to maintain your eligibility for federal financial aid in the next semester you must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and maintain a cumulative 2/3 completion rate. How are your grades looking for this semester? Are you in danger of slipping below the critical 2.0 GPA mark? If so, there are numerous ways to find help in ensuring that your GPA does not suffer this semester and you can maintain your financial aid well into the future. You could contact Student Support Services and request a tutor, you could contact your professor and see if they can provide additional assistance, you could form a study group with your classmates to try and get help from your peers, you could even visit the GTC library and utilize their resources. If you think you might be in danger of falling below these standards, please contact our office. We can sit down with you and discuss your specific situation and see what can be done to keep you above the standards and maintain your financial aid.

I hope you have found some of these tips helpful! We want to hear from you so please let us know if you would like to see more of these tips, if these tips did not apply to you, or if you have additional questions outside of these tips!

As always, thank you for visiting and please tell all of your friends. Together we can make financial aid work for you!

20 comments:

  1. I received a Pell Grant this semester, and am in danger of failing a class. I would rather Withdraw from it before Monday than have the "f" on my transcript. What is considered 60% of the semester? I am currently enrolled in 4 classes, so if I drop this one I would be enrolled in 3. I know in order to not have to repay portions of the Pell grants, I have to complete 60%, I just wasn't sure where that date begins. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "60%" you are referring to, begins on the start date of your class. If your class is a full term class, then today, Oct. 22nd is the date to earn 100% of your financial aid and still be eligible for a withdrawal.

    Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question regarding summer financial aid. I've only applied for fall and spring 10 semester but i wanted to know if its too late to apply for the summer term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you submit your FAFSA for 2009-2010 we will actually use that information to award you financial aid for the Summer 2010 semester also. You can qualify for Lottery Tuition Assistance as well as the Pell grant. Also, if you would like your student loans disbursed in the summer, you may request a summer disbursement.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know what the expected date is for refund checks to be mailed for Spring semester? Are we supposed to be signing another Award Letter for Spring semester or does the Award Letter in the fall take care of Fall and Spring? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have financial aid for the Fall 09/Spring 10 semesters. I did not request financial aid for Summer 10 because I did not think I would need to take any classes then, but as it turns out, I do. How do I change my financial aid so I can cover the cost of the two summer classes I need to take?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The award letter that you signed and returned for the Fall semester is also valid for the Spring semester. You will not need to sign a additional award letter. The disbursement date for the Spring semester is 2/1/10. So, the refund checks should be going out around the middle of February.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In reference to financial aid in the Summer 2010 semester: It really depends on the type of financial aid you have been awarded. if you have student loans, you can ask them to be disbursed in 3 parts, with an equal disbursement in the Summer semester. You also can receive Lottery Tuition Assistance AND the Pell grant year round now. So, if you register for classes in the Summer, we will be able to award you Pell and/or Lottery Tuition Assistance if you qualify.

    Please let me know if you have any additional questions and thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I was put on 6 mths. probation with financial aide,I got the e-mail in August,does this mean If I cant get my GPA where it has to be by December,then I will not get financial aide for the sping semester?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you GPA was the only eligibility criteria that is keeping you from getting financial aid then yes, if it rises above 2.0 then you will be able to get your financial aid back. If you are still below the 2/3 completion rate, then that may continue to stop you from getting financial aid.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I submitted my paperwork for an appeal for Spring 2010, it will not get looked at until next week because of the christmas break, what do i need to do, to keep from being purged from classes until my appeal decision is made and if my classes dont start until 2/1/10 do u think my result will be in by then?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The appeals take about 2-3 weeks. So you should have a decision before your classes begin on 2/1/10. However, you would need to sign a DO NOT PURGE form at our business office which will hold your classes.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got an email saying I was put on financial aide probation, and said I needed to complete a minimum of 2/3 of the total non-remedial credit hours you attempted, what exactly does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  14. For example, if you attempt 10 credit hours in the Spring 2010 semester and you withdraw from one class and complete the remaining classes, you will have a 70% completion rate based on the number of credit hours you attempted versus the number of credit hours you completed.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When are the refund checks going to be mailed out or deposited in bank accounts?

    ReplyDelete
  16. the first round of refund checks should be mailed on 2/12/10.

    Thank you fro your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am enrolled in school and have completed FAFSA and applied for PLUS loan. When will the plus loan be disbursed for 2010 fall? Everything is correct and filed. Also will it be disbursed in one installment or 2 and is there a way to request it done in 1?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The disbursement date for Fall 2010 is September 6th. The PLUS loan is required to be disbursed in two disbursements. These two disbursements may be within the same semester or two separate semesters, depending on your requested loan period.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When should we receive our refunds through direct deposit for the summer semester? I have read the postings but I am still unsure. I need some supplies and I was hoping on an approximate date. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fall 2010/Spring 2011 will be my 2nd school year at GTC and my 2nd year to receive financial aid. I just received an email stating my award letter is available to view, which I viewed. Do I need to contact the FA dept to make an appointment to sign anything?

    ReplyDelete