Financial Aid Blog Search

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Financial Aid Book Vouchers!!

With the summer semester rapidly approaching we are also about to enter into the season for book vouchers. What is a book voucher? Basically a book voucher works like an advance on your financial aid awards. Consider it a line of credit against your financial aid awards. To determine which students will get book vouchers and how much they will get, we run a simple calculation. We add up all of the financial aid that a student will get for the current semester, then deduct all tuition and fees. The remaining balance is money that can be made available in a book voucher (Remember that this is just an advance on your financial aid, not a separate award). Many students who elect to receive student loans may have thousands of dollars that have been “over-awarded” to them after tuition and fees have been paid. It is important to note that we also put limits on how much a student can use in a book voucher. The limits for summer 2009 are as follows: Full time- $900, ¾ time- $700, Half time - $500. If a student has paid for his entire tuition, used a book voucher and still has financial aid awards remaining, this money is mailed to the student in a refund check. NOTE: **Refund checks are typically mailed 4-6 weeks after classes start**

Book vouchers can be a great way to pay for your books and supplies without having to pay for these items out of pocket. However, not everyone is eligible for a book voucher. In order for a student to receive a book voucher he/she must do one of the following:

·         Submit a FAFSA for 2008/2009 and turn in all requested documentation to the financial aid office. We must have your FAFSA information before we can determine how much financial aid you will receive in the summer 2009 semester. If you have submitted a FAFSA but we have requested additional documentation, ALL documents must be submitted before we can issue a book voucher.

·         If you have received an award letter from financial aid you must return this to our office.

·         For students who received financial aid in fall 2008 or spring 2009 semester, you must have requested enough financial aid in the summer 2009 semester to fund your book voucher. **Student who only receive lottery tuition assistance will NOT be eligible for a book voucher**

·         If this is your first time receiving student loans you MUST have completed entrance loan counseling and have completed a master promissory note with your chosen lender before we can issue a book voucher.

If you meet these criteria for a book voucher you may print one from your campus cruiser account via web advisor beginning May 11th, 2009. Book vouchers will be available until May 29th. Book vouchers may also be printed at the GTC campus bookstore.

As always if you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment, question or suggestion and a financial aid officer will respond!

13 comments:

  1. We are still waiting on book vouchers to be available for fall 2009 and classes start Monday. We have signed and returned the Life scholarship letter but nothing is showing up on her account. If we buy the books, will any money left over stay on her account or do we just lose it?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a CET major and I was awarded a Graham Scholarship. This covers full tuition and books. I completed all the forms and tax informaton on 7/31. I need to buy my text books, but my I have not yet received my award letter. If I buy the books on my own, can I be reimbursed? These will run about $200, and the scholarship covered my books last Spring. PLease advise. I can be receached at Russell.1@charter.net or (864) 631-3632. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your Graham Scholarship. If the terms of the scholarship do include a payment for books then you should be reimbursed this money. You may wish to check with our Business Office to verify that there are funds still available through your scholarship for books.

    Thank you for your question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have was awarded the 900 for my books, i bought all my books and was left with 425. I went to buy a computer the other day and the lady in the bookstore rudely told me they had run out.... i was wondering how long till my check should come in the mail? i have a math class that uses a software program for most of the work, so it is getting annoying to go over to a friends house every week to do the work....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had 900 for my books and only spent half, i went up last week to get a computer because i really need one for my math class but the lady who is in charge of that rudely told me that they had ran out....how do i get that remaining money in my book account so i can go and get a computer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Refund checks should begin on September 18th.

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apologies for asking an oft-asked question but I cannot seem to find the answer otherwise. I am a new student this Fall and purchased most of my books prior to get my award letter (a couple were not available until after classes began). My award indicated that I would receive $900 in aid toward books. My account presently shows tuition credit but not the $900 for books. How do I substantiate my book expenses and get reimbursed for their cost? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you had money available for a book voucher and it went unused, then that money will be automatically refunded to you. There is no additional action needed on your part, unless of course you would like to sign up for direct deposit!

    Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When will we be able to use book vouchers for Spring 2010? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Book Vouchers for Spring 2010 begin today January 5th.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm confused about the money that has been deposited into my account. It seems to come from money left over after I paid for my books and the numbers don't seem to add up. Will there be a seperate deposit for my refund or is that it? Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When you say refund checkes will be sent on the 18th are you refering to the direct deposits being released as well or is that just for those with hard copy checks? I was under the impression they were releasing funds on the 7th and that ment the direct deposits would post with in 7-10 days. I got that from a previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried calling the financial aid office three days in a row now and I have sent an e-mail...no response. Figures I would have an issue during the busiest time of the semester :). I was wondering if someone could tell me why my student loans are showing up on all of my financial aid documents on campuscruiser including my award letter but aren't showing up on my book voucher? Could there be a problem with my loans? Please contact me 864-699-9235 *Allison*

    ReplyDelete